Thursday, January 27, 2011

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork....

i got the forms in the mail today. they look, well, familiar. but it feels very different because this time i know that i am going to send them back. i am going to follow through with this long-standing desire to try to learn more about my genetic origins. i filled out the forms and will go to the bank tomorrow to have them notarized-- another incredibly awkward stranger moment. "hi, can i please see a notary?"
"Sure."
"hi, person i have never met before, will you please lend your curiously impressive degree of authority to my life-altering project?"
and then they look at the form and they have the same kind of emotional lurch (by proxy)that the woman on the phone at the social services office did, but again, this is just business. so i will flash her my ID, sign my name and walk away with a bizarre sense that another stranger just peered directly into my soul without having earned the view. dramatic, i know, but this is a pretty intense thing to do. even for someone as rational and emotionless as myself.

i am about to write the $350 check. i marked the box for "identifying search." once i put this little stack of legal blabber back into the envelope and in the mailbox, it is game on. my eyes are welling a little bit... must be dusty in here.

No comments: